Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The best live band ever?

The moment I heard Mr.Big was reuniting back with Paul Gilbert after almost 12 years, it was like the first swallow of champagne after crossing a desert. Truly, the rock scene was not the same like how it was during the 80's and 90's with bands like Mr. Big, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen & Extreme around. Glad to see these bands make a comeback after all these years of Heavy metal and nu-metal craziness. There will always be at least 9 out 10 people who would love good old rock n roll over the heavier stuff.

And to hear that Mr. Big is gonna perform at Bangalore as part of their reunion tour, it did take me to the top of the world! I couldn't wait for the day I would get to see two guitar geniuses - Billy & Paul!!

My band's front man - Andy (who resides in Bangalore) booked our tickets and we set out on our journey to watch one of the best rock n roll bands that existed!

I had another chore in Bangalore - to fix my poor guitar (Ernie Ball Music Man OLP - John Petrucci Signature) - which thankfully got done in no time. We reach palace grounds and was really surprised to see a handful of people turned up. Jesus! How much has metal got onto us!!!

It was good in a way since we were really sure of getting in front of Paul and Billy without any hassle. We did not see the surprise coming our way... The tickets that we had bought cost 2500 bucks and guess where they put us - on a balcony at least 400 meters away from the stage!!!!

Three denominations of tickets - 500, 1300, 2500!! and if one was thinking, I'll pay 2500 and will get in front of the band - stop dreaming!! DNA networks has gone nuts!!!

My band's other guitarist Jeet aka the best sales man aka Debbie was in his prime form! The way he spoke to the organizers and got them to break the wall and create an entrance to get into the 1300 section where you can be right in front of the stage, I sure don't regret calling him the best sales man!

I also think DNA organizers were on acid or shrooms, when they were planning this event!

We were so sure that this show cannot be a let down, just for the fact that all 4 band members are sheer geniuses in their respective departments. Aerosmith was a big let down because of bad sound mixing!! But Mr. Big just wouldn't let that happen!!



What a show it turned out to be!! Personally, one of the best rock n roll acts I've seen live or on TV or on DVD!! It is not just the music.. it was all about charisma and stage presence! Right from Eric showing Spock's sign after almost every song... to the incredible solos by Paul, Billy and Pat... to the way they performed Smoke on the water with the bassist singing, the drummer playing bass, the vocalist playing the guitar and the guitarist getting onto the drums!!



Again, when I say the best rock n roll act, a lot of rock n roll lovers might oppose! I've not yet seen AC/DC or Extreme or Van Halen or Led Zeppelin live! Out of the shows that I've been to (Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Aerosmith), I thought Mr. Big's performance was in a different league altogether!!

My winamp is loaded with Mr. Big's discography with the entire track list on repeat! :)

Three words - What a BAND!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment