Monday, January 26, 2009

Music as a language

I've heard a lot of people say (even I asked at one point of time) I just don't know how to learn music fast or even if I had learnt, I don't know how to improvise and be creative. Lets compare music to a language. We learnt our mother tongue when we were 2 or 3 years old. How do we understand what our parents say? The situation around you?? The type of words they use?? Their tone?

The same way, while watching a guitarist, we start appreciating the music once we get the feel of what he is creating. Unless you are a guitarist, you would not bother looking at what chords he is playing or where he is playing or simply, what the hell is he trying to do. We just go by our ear.

Even while you try to create music or improvise, try to go by the feel. You say what you feel. And as simple as it is, try and play what you feel. When you are trying to say what you feel, your brain creates the words. So what would you be thinking? were you thinking of nouns? pronouns? verbs? How fast are you substituting words while rephrasing a sentence? Once you have learnt all that theory, you would not think too much while rephrasing a sentence. Do you still refer a grammar book while rephrasing or creating a sentence?

Similarly, look at music as a language. Once you learn all those basics, your way of thinking should be the same way as how you speak a language. And once you are thorough with the basics, you wouldn't wanna think about it anymore. You start playing what you feel. Take a chord and think theoretically.. ok.. am playing this chord and the theory says I can play this after it. And once you start going by the feel of what you are playing, you wouldn't even think about theory.

It is so vital to learn all the basic theory for any musician, no matter what you play. I say what I feel, I play what I feel!

Gracias!

P.S: Wooten's Logic included..

1 comment:

  1. hmmm... interesting logic!
    Let's talk with music :) Wat say?

    ReplyDelete